Thursday, January 3, 2013

January 2

A Gift Outside, Inside, On a Plate

1.  The big red dumpster that is taking up space in my driveway.  Even though I backed into it last week, it has been a real gift for us.  It is filled with debris from the basement pre-tiling demolition and purge, and it made our project much easier.  I'm ready for the company to come pick it up, though. 

2.  My Christmas trees, which will be coming down this weekend on Epiphany.  I love the family tree in the sun room, with the ornaments we've collected throughout our 22 years together.  It's filled with ornaments made by the kids, as well as some from our own childhoods.  Whenever we travel, we buy an ornament to put on the tree, and we love to reminisce as we hang them up every Christmas.  And my "Angel Tree" in the foyer makes me so happy.  When we bought this house, Bret bought me the tree for my birthday to put in the foyer.  It's on the smaller side, but it's the perfect size to display all of the angel ornaments I've accumulated over the years.  I also hang all the photo ornaments there, even though the kids don't always act like angels.  Every time I come down the stairs, go into my office or in and out of the front door, I am welcomed by my tree, and it makes me smile. 

3.  I try to have a dinner date with Jacob after his Syllables session at least once a month.  It's difficult, since usually we take Jessie with us, and Mondays are out due to Josh's Boy Scout meetings and Bret's BSF.  But today we left everyone at home and went to Chili's for dinner, just the two of us, after Syllables.  Chili's is one of his favorites, because of Paradise Pie (he's a boy after my own heart).  While we waited for our meal, we played a game he'd just learned at Syllables and he was so proud to explain how it worked, before beating me.  As we shared our Paradise Pie, he beamed at me and told me that he couldn't stop smiling because he was so happy we were on a date.  And also because he had such a pretty mommy, and also that he really liked the shirt I was wearing.  He's pretty good with the compliments -- he's not embarrassed to show affection the way his big brother is, and I pray that he stays that way.  Unabashed love and Paradise Pie.  Yum.

No comments: